Concrete is a popular building material that is used for its strength. It’s flexible when wet but dries to form a solid structure that is perfect for the construction industry.
It is easy to design and produce concrete of desire strength by using its ingredients like aggregate, sand, cement, water and admixtures. It plays a very important role in construction. It is an inexpensive, quick and durable material that helps to complete many construction projects. It has become the first choice of designers when it comes to design any modern-day structures
Here are some advantages of concrete as a construction material.
Advantages of concrete as a construction material
- High compressive strength compared to other building materials.
- Easy handling and moulding into any shape.
- Unlike natural stones, it is free from defects and flaws. As it can be mixed homogeneously.
- Fire and weather resistance of reinforced concrete is good.
- The deterioration of concrete is not appreciable with age
- The reinforced concrete building system is more durable than any other building system.
- The maintenance cost of reinforced concrete are very low.
- In the structure like footings, dams, piers etc. reinforced concrete is the most economical construction material.
- It acts like a rigid member with minimum deflection.
- Compared to the use of steel in structure, reinforced concrete requires less skilled labour for the erection of the structure.
There are several practical advantages for using concrete when you build, however the most common reason people choose this material for their home is for aesthetics. Concrete constructions have a clean and modern look that blend in well with virtually any setting, whether it’s bushland, ocean front or in a new or existing suburb.